Wednesday, February 10, 2010

First Day of “Class” (Day 5 in Fiji)

So today was our first day of classes at the University of the South Pacific. Evy and I woke up around 7:30 to have breakfast and get ready before our trip to school for our 9am lecture. We arrived to find out that our first lecture would be postponed until the following day due to technical difficulties, so some of my friends and I decided to walk around the streets outside of campus for a bit before morning tea at 1030am. Our second lecture started at 11am and discussed politics in the Pacific region, and a lot about the government in Fiji and how it has changed from it’s origins. After the lecture we broke for lunch and then decided again to walk across the street to the shops near the University. We wound up in a homemade ice cream shop, which claimed to have a variety of flavors, when in reality we are almost sure that they are all vanilla with different food coloring haha, but it was fun! Sat around with friends and had a few laughs before we headed back for our final lecture of the day on biodiversity in the Pacific region. This lecture was pretty hard to follow; the professor was all over the grid with scattered thoughts on a variety of topics. However, his pictures from his past trips around the world were incredible. He’s been ALL over the world: snorkeling in Beliz, observing the rainforest in various islands in the pacific, scuba diving, etc. Tough life. I’d love to have his job.

After school Evy and I took a cab home to spend some time with our family. We sat outside on the porch and enjoyed the sights and talked to our dad and mom about their day. They sat around drinking Kava, which again, is water mixed with ground root; a big tradition in Fijian culture. Since it was hot, Evy and I decided to take a swim in the pool and relax outside. I read a bit and we just sat and talked until our friends came over and we played Catch Phrase for about 3 hours. It was so fun, especially playing with someone who is a native Fijian. After they left we had a delicious dinner, and now here I am at about quarter after 10 on Wednesday night updating my journal on what I have done for the day. That’s all for now : )

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog Christine! And I am so jealous every time you write the word hot or warm. It has snowed every day since I have been in Prague and I am so cold all the time. I am so happy you are loving Fiji already. I miss you and love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um HI! Thanks for telling me that you had a blog. Really though.. thanks haha

    I miss you and it seems like you are living the life right now! Snag me a sea shell and a cute Aussie boy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have no idea how jealous I am right now. It's freezing in Worcester. Really. And Snowy. You sound like you're having so so so much fun. Soak up those rays and enjoy life in paradise. miss you. love you!

    ReplyDelete